The famous Ski resort of Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand, Auli lies in Chamoli district attracting hundreds of Skiing enthusiasts every year from late December to late March with profound snow slopes. Entire skiing area in Auli is 5-7Km between 2896 to 3200 meters above sea level on the edge of Nanda Devi National park and provides spectacular view of high Himalayan peaks.
Auli is 268Km north east of Rishikesh and 492Km north east of Delhi.When you begin your journey from Rishikesh, you will pass through Devprayag-Srinagar-Rudraprayag–Nandprayag and reach Chamoli.
Skiing at Auli will be fun filled with abundant exercise. It will enchant you and slim your body at the same time. Once you slide down through the ski slopes, you will be carried back to the top by 500 meters long ski lift and 800 meters chair lift. It saves your time and removes the trouble of walking up with long skis. Annual skiing festival is conducted in Auli that you would love to join.
Auli is an ideal ski slope for professional or expert skiers, but also have offers for adventure sports lovers to learn ski. From January to March, Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN) every year offers 7-days non-certificate and 14-day certificate courses for beginners with modern ski equipments. You will also find private instructors in the Auli slope. You can choose GMVN course if you have enough time otherwise the expert private instructors will help you get a going for ski.
Infrastructure at Auli
Simple hotel accommodation and tourist rest house available at Joshimath and Auli. A 3.9 kms. Long cable car linking Joshimath(1906.3 mts) with the upper slopes at Gorson (3016.3 mts.). Also 16 kms motorable road from Joshimath to Auli. A 500 mts. Long ski-lift and 800 mts. long chair lift linking the lower slopes with the upper slopes. Two snow beaters imported from Germany. Ski equipments are also available on hire. Assistance of ski instructors and skiers from GMVN .Efficient Communication available in Auli. Easy accessibility of medical assistance from Army and Civil hospitals including emergency rescue available helicopter.
Auli Skiing | Best Time to Visit
Late December to late March- despite cold weather Auli provides perfect skiing slopes during winter months. You must be well equipped to protect yourself from cold. Also carry torch light and some medicines you might need.
Weather in Auli
- Summer: Auli is an ideal place to visit during Summer for trekking purpose. Pilgrims and nature lovers around Joshimath and other nearby places enjoy Auli trek during summer season. The pleasing weather makes the trek fun.
- Monsoon: Monsoon rain disrupts the route to Auli during mid-June to mid-September. It is better avoid trekking to Auli during monsoon season.
- Spring: For trekking, Auli is one of the perfect locations during spring season when the sun is pleasing and climatic condition favors the trekkers.
- Winter: Winter season is the best time for Auli Skiing when the ski slope fills with ice and skiers find perfect joy. Hundreds of skiers slope in Auli range during winter every year.
Auli Skiing | How to Reach?
- By Air: Jolly Grant airport Dehradun is the nearest airport 268Km from Joshimath. You can hire a taxi to Auli from Jolly Grant airport connected to Delhi with two flights every day.
- By Rail: Haridwar railway station is 274Km and Rishikesh railway station is the nearest railhead 251Km from Joshimath. You will find taxi to Auli from Haridwar and Rishikesh.
- By Road: From Rishikesh, pass through Devprayag-Srinagar-Rudraprayag-Karnaprayag-Nandprayag-Chamoli-Pipalkoti-Joshimath and turn south to reach Auli. There is bus service to Joshimath from Rishikesh, Haridwar, Dehradun and Delhi. Rishikesh can be reached via Haridwar through bus from most parts of the country. You will also find cabs to Joshimath. Auli is 16Km motorable road from Joshimath.
Route to Auli
- Dehradun – Rishikesh – Devprayag – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Karnaprayag – Nandprayag – Chamoli – Pipalkoti – Joshimath – Auli
Auli Skiing | Places Nearby