Among many of gifted sites of Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand, snow capped Mundali is the skiing spot for expert skiers. Peaks covered with snow providing spectacular view from Mundali are the special attractions. The ski slopes and excellent powdery snow make Mundali a paradise for skiers.
Mundali does not just let the professional skiers ski in its slopes skiers but also provides splendid view of snow capped Himalayan panorama. More, there is a school for beginner to intermediate to advanced level skiers to learn skiing.
Mundali lies in Dehradun district, 129Km from Dehradun city and 36Km from Chakrata Dehradun. You can go to Mundali from Chakrata in jeep. Alternate route in jeep is Chakrata – Kandabad – Kathiyan – Dharagarh. You will have to drive through rough road. Mundali is 2.5Km away from Dharagarh, surrounded by lovely green forest. You can even trek this route and enjoy nature.
If you are going to Mundali for ski, you should carry medicines such as inhalers, bee-sting kits, insulin and first aid box. Woolen clothes, cap, socks, dark glasses, gloves, mufflers, pullovers, wind-proof jacket, gum/snow boots, torch light are the must in your travel kits.
Mundali Skiing | Best Time to Visit
Summer months April-June for trekking and winter months November-December are the best months for skiing in Mundali.Forest Rest House with two beds in each room run by the forest department of Uttarakhand is the only place for accommodation. You can either stay in Chakrata or Mundali. In Chakrata you have more options than just the forest rest house. There are private hotels as well.
Weather in Mundali
- Summer: Summer months April to mid-June are considered best time to trek Mundali in the warm sun. The beautiful vista can be viewed to full length and you can meet hundreds of other tourists roaming around enjoying the nature’s grace.
- Monsoon: The months mid-June to mid-September experience heavy rainfall in Mundali making the monsoon season unapproachable from trekkers point of view. Skiing is impossible during monsoon.
- Spring: Spring months mid-September to late October are favorable for trekkers in Mundali. The warm and pleasing weather makes the tour enjoyable.
- Winter: Winter is the season for skiing in Mundali. Skiers from around the globe can be met at Mundali from early November till late December enjoying in the ski slope.
Mundali Skiing | How to Reach ?
- By Air: Jolly Grant Airport Dehradun is the nearest airport. You must use other means of transport from the airport.
- By Train: Dehradun is well connected with major cities of India by railway network. You should use the roadways then after.
- By Road: Dehradun is well connected with many cities of India through roadway network. You can take a bus to Chakrata and then hire a jeep to Mundali.
Route to Mundali
- Dehradun – Chakrata Dehradun – Mundali
Mundali Skiing | Places Nearby
- Lakhamandal Temple: 75Km awqay from Dehradun on the Naugaon-Barkot route along the slopes of sacred river Yamuna, Lakhamandal Temple of lord Shiva is beautifully carved in North Indian architectural style. People who follow Shakti cult believe that visiting this temple will end miseries in life. Lakhmandal derives its name from lakh meaning one hundred thousand and mandal meaning temple or lingam making it a single name for thousands of temples. The archeological survey of India found many artistic works here.
- Dakpathar: 43Km away from Dehradun, Dakpathar, 790meters above sea level, has a huge stretch of sacred Yamuna and Shivalik range. Major picnic spot for people in Dehradun, surrounded by green forests and lovely panorama, Dakpathar is a pleasing destination for nature lovers.
- Recommended places near to Mundali Skiing are – Kalsi | Chakrata | Tapkeshwar Mahadev