Popular for scenic beauty and lovingly called the trekkers paradise, Munsiyari or Munsyari 3853 meters above sea level, lies 66Km from Jauljibi of Pithoragarh district in Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand. One of the major winter vacation spot with enough spaces for skiing, Munsiyari offers immense opportunities for other adventure sports like white water rafting and trekking. Khaliatop and Betulidhar are the two high altitude spots in Munsiyari providing the best slopes for skiing.
Sulphur springs and waterfalls leaping up your soul, cool breeze at high altitude filling your nerves with peace and tranquility and the breathtaking view of snow capped Himalayan peaks like Panchchuli, Rajramba and Trishul tightens your bondage with Munsiyari. Providing enough spaces for trekking in high altitude lands, Munsyari works as trekking gateway to Milam, Namik and Ralam glaciers if you have taken permissions for inner-line treks.
Munsyari is a multi tasking spot. Prohibited for visit till recent past, Munsyari became the major tourist destination and trekking spot. The chir, deodar, surai, spur, paper, rhododendron forests around the Munsiyari range are fascinating. Animals you commonly see in the forests are panther, leopard, mountain bear and musk deer.
You will also get opportunities to see the mountain birds like whistling thrush, wag tail, hawk, cuckoo, falcon, serpent eagle. Crested Himalayan bulbuls, pigmy woodpeckers, red-billed blue magpies are also the common sites in forests around Munsyari range.Munsiyari lies in Johar valley and falls on the salt route from Tibet until the border to China was closed in 1962.
Munsiyari forest festival is held in the region for promotion of cultural and biological diversity near Mesar Kund.
Munsiyari Skiing | Best Time to Visit
Escaping the monsoon months, you can visit Munsyari any time during the year. If you are going for trek, summer with light clothes will be okay but you must visit to Munsiyari in winter for skiing. Ski equipments along with heavy woolen clothes is must.
Weather in Munsiyari
- Summer : Summer months March to early May, the sun is warm gradually becoming hot during the day from mid-May till mid-June. You can trek around Munsiyari with light summer clothes.
- Monsoon : Monsoon months are okay for trekkers though not highly recommended. Trekking around the Munsiyari slope with raincoat can be fun in groups.
- Spring: Spring months mid-September to late early November is best time to trek through Munsiyari slopes. You can enjoy the trek with warm sun and calm weather.
- Winter: Winter months are the best time for skiing in Munsiyari. You must carry your own skiing equipments and warm clothes to protect from chilling cold winter.
Munsiyari Skiing | How to Reach?
- By Air: Pantnagar airport Udham Singh Nagar is the nearest airport 306Km from Munsiyari. You can find taxi and cab to Munsyari from Pantnagar airport.
- By Rail: Kathgodam railway station Nainital is the nearest railhead 275Km from Munsyari. You need to catch a taxi or cab to Munsyari from Kathgodam.
- By Road: Munsyari is 127Km from the district headquarter of Pithoragarh through Jauljibi-Madkote road.
Route to Binsar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Dehradun – Rishikesh – Srinagar – Rudraprayag – Dungiri – Gwaldham – Baijanath – Bageshwar – Kapkot – Dana – Munsiyari
- Nainital – Bhowali – Almora – Binsar Madhya Sarkari Duka – Bageshwar – Kapkot – Dana – Munsiyari
Munsiyari Skiing | Places Nearby
- Chiplakot: On Jaulijibi to Munsiyari road at 3,090 meters above sea level, Chiplakot slope has perfect Skiing setting and entertains a huge number of Skiers every year from and outside Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand.
- Jauljibi: 68Km from Pithoragarh town, Jaulijibi lies on the confluence of Kali and Gori rivers and is a popular trading center on Indo-Nepal border. Popular festival is held at Jauljibi in autumn. Copper pots, woolen goods, Himalayan horses are bought and sold in the festival where large number of people participate. Jhuaghat is a small town situated on the bank of Kali river named after a hanging bridge in the Kali river in Indo-Nepal border where the cross-border trade takes place.
- Lohaghat: 62Km from district headquarter Pithoragarh, on the bank of Lohawati river, Lohaghat lies in Champawat district and houses beautiful temples with historical and mythological legends connecting to the ancient times. Every year in Rakshya Bandhan day of Hindu calendar, Bagwal fight carnival takes place at Devidhura temple of Lohaghat.
- Mayawati: 9Km from Lohaghat, also known as the headquarter of Advait Ashram, Mayawati attracts thousands of pilgrims and tourists around the world and specially Bengalis during summer. A literature library about Swami Vivekanand will help you know explore more about Advait Ashram and Swami Vivekanand. A mission hospital is another attraction of the place.