White water rafting, commonly termed as rafting, is popular recreational water sport that excite and thrill the raft passengers. White water means fast speed water and raft is a hot air balloon boat made of multi-layered, durable rubber consisting of several independent air chambers. It can be 11 to 20 feet long and 6 to 8 feet wide.
The Ganga originated from Gaumukh, the foot of Gangotri glacier, passes through Devprayag reaches Rishikesh and enters plain.
Ganga is one major river for water adventure sport in Uttarakhand. Devprayag, the confluence of Alakhnanda and Bhagirathi, flows forcedly downwards providing a challenging rafting destination. Then Ganga gears down her speed providing a subtle flow for amateur water adventurer enjoy rafting and thrill while passing through the large rocks and hazards.Rivers of Kumaon provide space to practice rafting.
When you are rafting through Garhwal and Kumaon rivers- wetting your body with water and wetting your soul with the beauty of nature- curves and bends of river with swirling motion, spectacular mountains, beautiful meadows, tall trees, flowers and lively wildlife at distance- you will feel emancipated.
Rafting is as challenging as thrilling it is. As per the International scale of river difficulty, we can list six classes of difficulty in white water rafting ranging from simple to very dangerous and potential death or serious injuries.
Classes/Grades of White Water Rafting
- Class 1: Very small rough areas that require no maneuvering and no skill.
- Class 2: Some rough water, some rocks or small drops- basic paddling skill is required and may need maneuvering.
- Class 3: White water, medium waves, 3-5 feet drop but not much considerable danger. Significant maneuvering may be required with experienced paddling skills are must.
- Class 4: Whitewater, large waves, continuous rapids, large rocks and hazards, considerable drop may exist. Sharp maneuvering required with advanced whitewater experience.
- Class 5: Whitewater, large waves, continuous rapids, large rocks and hazards, large drop may exist. Precise maneuvering with expert skill is must. Failure to execute specific maneuver at specific point may result in serious injury or death.
- Class 6: Whitewater that are not passable and any attempt to do so would result in serious injury- drowning or death.
Though it has become safer than before because of the expertise increased and quality equipments introduced, but private rafting tour is not recommended to minimize the risk factors. There are many travel agencies providing white water rafting packages which you can surf through and choose before facing the water challenges.