Frequently trekked by adventurers and nature lover tourists, Dronagiri Glacier in Chamoli district of Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand spreads from 4,240 meters to 5,150 meters above the sea level and is about 5.5Km long. Adding to the beauty of Uttarakhand along with the fascinating Himalayan peaks like Nanda Devi, Nanda Kot, Trishul, mesmerizing rivers and enchanting streams, varied wildlife- flora and fauna, sacred pilgrimages and hundreds of glaciers, Dronagiri glacier holds significance to Dhauli Ganga system of glaciers and entertains thousands of trekking enthusiasts every year. Bagini glacier falls on the way to Dronagiri glacier. Dhauli Ganga system includes more than 500 glaciers of different shapes and sizes flowing through deep and narrow valleys. Changbang glacier, Girthi Hoti glacier and Niti glacier are some of the important glaciers of Dhauli Ganga systems.
Dronagiri glacier is 20Km from Jumma village. Jumma village is around 45Km from Joshimath on Joshimath-Malari road. As the trip begins from Jumma, Dronagiri village is 8Km away and Dronagiri glacier is 12Km trek from Dronagiri village – the village which is itself a trekking destination where hundreds of tourists from and outside Uttarakhand come to spend holiday every year.You can find an ideal place for camping nearby Dronagiri glacier.
Nanda Devi National Park and Biosphere Reserve, Auli– popular skiing destination, Vishnuprayag– one among the Panch Prayag (five confluences) of sacred river Ganga, Badrinath– one among the Char Dham (four pilgrimages) in Uttarakhand are the nearby destinations that you would likely love to visit. If you are coming from Haridwar-Rishikesh route, don’t miss Tapovan on the way.
Dronagiri Glacier | Best time to Visit
Tourists usually visit Dronagiri glacier from mid May to mid October but May to June and September to October are best months to trek through Dronagiri range to escape rain.
Weather in Dronagiri Glacier
- Summer: Summer months May to mid-June are best time for Dronagiri Glacier trek. The climatic condition favors the trekkers with clean sky, pleasing weather and spectacular view. Though light clothes are okay, carry some woolen garments as Uttarakhand himalayan zone may be cold for you.
- Monsoon: The monsoon rain from mid-June to mid-September disrupts the trekkers making the route muddy, slippery and chances of landslide are prominent. It is better avoid the monsoon months to protect oneself from unwanted hazards during the trek.
- Spring: Immediately after monsoon, trekkers plan trip to Dronagiri glacier and get opportunity to watch the greenery to full length. Green vegetation, pleasing weather, clear sky and clean route eases the trek.
- Winter: Being at a high altitude among the himalayas, like other glaciers, Dronagiri is also unapproachable during winter season. Freezing cold weather and clumsy environment throughout the day makes the trip not only difficult but also boring.
Dronagiri Glacier | How to Reach?
- By Air: The nearest airport is Jollygrant Dehradun 267Km . You need to apply raodways to Joshimath from Jollygrant airport Dehradun.
- By Rail: The nearest railhead is Rishikesh, 251Km from Joshimath. You need to apply raodways to Joshimath from Kathgodam Nainital.
- By Road: Joshimath is well connected by roadways to other places of Uttarakhand. You will need to take a cab or jeep to Jumma village and from there you will be trekking 8Km to Dronagiri village from where you will reach Dronagiri glacier after 12Km trek.
Route to Dronagiri Glacier
Dronagiri Glacier | Places Nearby
- Jumma Village: Situated 258 meters above sea level, the small and beautiful village Jumma lies in Dharchula Tehsil of Pithoragarh district. Jumma village is 6Km from Dharchula Dehat village. Surrounded by Didihat, Munsyari, Kanalichina and Munakot tehsils on four different directions, Jumma provides spectacular view to its visitors and lies on the route to Dronagiri Glacier.
- Dwarhat: Beautiful town in Almora district, Dwarhat lies 1500 meters above the sea level. Cool weather of this region pleases the tourists any time of the year, winter being colder. Mahavatar Babaji’s cave on Pandukholi mountain is the main attraction of Dwarhat. Dwarahat Ashram attracts many for meditation and spiritual practices.
- Jaurasi: Situated 2,743 meters above the sea level, hill town Jaurasi provides cool and refreshing weather during extreme summer too. Beautified by nature, hill station Jaurasi keeps the visitors spellbound with snow capped Himalayan views, dancing rivers, beautiful meadows, diverse flora and vegetation and incomparable pleasing weather.
- Chaukhutia: Attracting hundreds of tourists with its fascinating beauty, Chaukhutia majestically sits on the bank of Ramganga river. The name Chaukhutia stands for four legs pointing to four places- Ramnagar, Karnaprayag, Ranikhet plus Almora being in same direction and Tadaktaal. The place is famous for its historical past connecting to religious myths.
- Joshimath: Gateway to several mountain climbing expeditions, trekking route to major Char Dham pilgrimageBadrinath, Joshimath in Chamoli district of Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand is 6,150 meters above sea level. The Narsinha temple of Bhavishya Badri denoting the future Badri and one among Panch Badri sits majestically at Joshimath.
- Other Places nearby Dronagiri Glacier are – Dronagiri Village | Nanda Devi National Park | Auli | Vishnuprayag | Badrinath