Madhyamaheshwar temple situated in Chamoli district of Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand at an altitude of 3,289 meters above the sea level is one among the five of Panch Kedar pilgrimages dedicated to lord Shiva. The temple bearing significance from the ancient era, Madhyamaheshwar is one of the most visited pilgrimages in India. Naval of lord Shiva is worshiped in Madhyamaheshwar. There is an interesting story on how the Naval of Shiva appeared here.
Madhyamaheshwar Temple Tourism
The trek to Madhyamaheshwar is fun and energetic surrounded by oak, rhododendron and birch trees encouraging the trekkers to move ahead and experience nature to full length. The spectacular landscape and panoramic view of Himalayan peaks like Kedarnath, Neelkanth, Trishul, Kamet, Panchulli and Chaukhamba (four pillars) fascinates the travelers. When one reaches Madhyamaheshwar, the pleasing locals welcome every visitor with love and warmth. Food and shelter on the ‘home stay’ facilities provided by locals of the hilly region Madhyamaheshwar visit becomes memorable to every tourist. Interactions and discussions with locals lets one an opportunity to learn people, their socio-cultural, political eyes and explore the hidden treasures in simple village lives.
Madhyamaheshwar temple is travelled by thousands of religious tourists every year especially during the Char Dham yatra season starting from May till October. While paying visit to Kedarnath, the pilgrimage tourists start from Tungnath, reach Rudranath then go to Madhyamaheshwar. Kalpeshwar is the forth and Kedarnath is the last pilgrimage of Panch Kedar. In the return journey also Madhyamaheshwar is the third or mid pilgrimage of Panch Kedar.
Madhyamaheshwar | Best Time to Visit
Madhyamaheshwar temple can be best visited during summer and spring season. Usually, months May to October are considered good for Madhyamaheshwar visit. Yet, visiting during monsoon season (mid-June to mid-September) might be hectic due to heavy rainfall, slippery road, landslide and road blockage. Better plan visit during summer or spring season and enjoy the pleasing weather of hilly region.
Madhyamaheshwar | How to reach?
- By Air: Jolly Grant Airport Dehradun is the nearest airport 196Km from Ukhimath from where tourists go to Uniana and start the trek to Madhyamaheshwar.
- By Rail: The nearest railhead is at Rishikesh 181Km from Ukhimath from where tourists go to Uniana and start your trek to Madhyamaheshwar.
- By Road: Road route to Madhyamaheshwar starting from Delhi is here sited as thus: Delhi-Meerut- Haridwar- Rishikesh- Devprayag- Srinagar- Rudraprayag- Ukhimath-Uniana. Once in Uniana, Madhyamaheshwar is 21Km trek from Uniana. Uniana to Bantoli is an easy trek but need to trek steep hill from Bantoli to Madhyamaheshwar.
Route to Madhyamaheshwar
- Dehradun – Rishikesh- Devprayag- Srinagar- Rudraprayag- Kund – Ukhimath – Uniana – Bantoli – Madhyamaheshwar
Madhyamaheshwar | Places Nearby
- Budha Madhyamaheshwar: 2Km steep hill from Madhyamaheshwar passing through the large moors and valleys, reach to a small lake that provides panoramic views of ranges like Chaukhamba (four pillars), Kedarnath, Neelkanth, Trishul, Kamet, Panchulli. The shrine of Budha Madhyamaheshwar, also called Vridha Madhyamaheshwar is just a pile of stone.
- Kanchani Tal: After 16Km difficult trek from Madhyamaheshwar you can reach Kanchani Tal (Lake) 4,200 meters above the sea level. Kanchani Tal is an ideal place for camping and relaxation after hours of trek and sightseeing.
- Gaundhar: Situated at the confluence of Madhyamaheshwar Ganga and Markanga Ganga and is the closest settlement to Madhyamaheshwar, Gaundhar provides splendid views along with fresh air and enchanting panorama to the tourists.
- Kalimath Siddh Peeth: A beautiful picnic spot in Almora district, Kalimath offers commanding view of the Himalayan peaks and picturesque view of Almora town. The black soil of the place gives its name Kali (black) and Math (soil). One kilometer trek from Kalimath will lead you to Kashar Devi Temple dedicated to goddess Kali (Bhairavi-the dangerous form of Parvati). Temples of lord Shiva, Bhairab (the fearful form of lord Shiva), Mahakali and Mahalaxmi are there in Kalimath.
- Joshimath: Gateway to several mountain climbing expeditions, trekking route to major Char Dham pilgrimage Badrinath, Joshimath in Chamoli district of Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand is 6,150 meters above sea level. The Narsinha temple of Bhavishya Badri denoting the future Badri and one among Panch Badri sits majestically at Joshimath.
- Its recommended to visit these near by places to Madhyamaeshwar – Kedarnath | Tungnath | Rudranath | Kalpeshwar | Rudraprayag | Chamoli District | Almora District |