Devprayag is the last of Panch Prayag, other four being Vishnuprayag, Nandaprayag, Karnaprayag and Rudraprayag according to descending order of river Alakhananda who meets other four tributaries of holy Ganga at four different places. Alaknanda river confluences with Bhagirathi river at Devprayag. The holy confluence lies in Pauri Garhwal district of Dev Bhoomi Uttarakhand state in India on Rishikesh–Rudraprayag road, only 73Km from Rishikesh. Situated 618 meters above sea level, houses a temple Devprayag where Hindu pilgrims pay devotional visit. Char Dham tourists and other religious tourists take a dip at the holy confluence Devprayag, perform shradda (last rites of their late ancestors) at the holy confluence and offer worship to the temple.
The mesmerizing beauty of two sister rivers meeting at the confluence impresses the tourists. One fierce sister meeting another placid sister and both calming down to flow together offers an enchanting view.Read the legend of Panch Prayag for more information on the formation of Dev Prayag.
Devprayag | Tourism
Raghunath temple dedicated to lord Rama, the incarnation of lord Vishnu is the attraction of Devprayag. Other popular shrines in Devprayag are Shiva temple, Kaal Bhairav temple, Hanuman temple, Badrinath temple and Shandrashil temple.
With high faith and devotion, Hindu pilgrims from around the world pay visit to Devprayag, the confluence which originates holy Ganga from her two tributaries Alakhananda and Bhagirathi. Bhagirathi who began her journey from Gangotri unites with Alakhananda who retains her name till Dev Prayag uniting with other three tributaries Dhauli Ganga, Pindari and Mandakini. The enchanting beauty of fierce Bhagirathi uniting with placid Alakhananda to form the gigantic and placid Ganga at Devprayag fascinates the spectators.
Also, Devprayag is a famous trekking destination. People from far and near often come to Devprayag for sightseeing. Besides, Devprayag is a beautiful town and a municipal board of Pauri Garhwal district that offers opportunities for shopping to carry something for memory at home. Beauty of Devprayag town standing over the Devprayag provides opportunities to the travelers to roam around and relax after long tour of pilgrimages.
Devprayag | Best Time to Visit
Escaping the monsoon months July, August and Septermber; tourists can visit Devprayag any time during the year. Monsoon will also be fun with green vegetation and profound natural beauty, but heavy rainfall may damage the trip. Adventure lovers choose months March to September for rafting and other water sports.
Devprayag | How to Reach ?
- By Air: Jolly Grant Airport Dehradun is the nearest airport 87Km from Devprayag through Rishikesh.
- By Rail: Rishikesh railway station is the nearest railhead 71Km from Devprayag. One can find bus and taxi from Rishikesh to Devprayag.
- By road: Devprayag is well connected through roadways from all the major cities like Nainital, Almora, Srinagar, Haridwar, Rishikesh, Dehradun, Karnaprayag, Rudraprayag, Joshimath and other towns of Uttarakhand. Delhi is 302Km from Devprayag.
Devprayag | Places Nearby
- Srinagar: Situated 560 meters above the sea level on the left bank of Alaknanda river, Srinagar is the largest city of Pauri Garhwal district. 32.5Km from Devprayag, Srinagar is on the way to Badrinath from Rishikesh.
- Narendranagar: Deriving its name from King Maharaja Narendra Shah who moved the capital city of Tehri Garhwal district to this beautiful land in 1919 A.D., enchanting beautiful view of holy Ganga flowing from mountains to the plane land of Haridwar. Narendra Nagar palace 3000 feet above sea level in Narendra Nagar is utilized as spa spot and named ‘Ananda-in the himalayas’ from where you can have a majestic view of Dehradun valley.
- Famous destinations near to Devprayag are also recommended to visit – Rishikesh | New Tehri | Rudraprayag.