Kedarkantha Trek – One of the Popular Treks in Uttarakhand
Kedarkantha trek is a popular winter trek located in the Uttarkashi district of Uttarakhand, India. The trek offers stunning views of the Himalayas, including peaks like Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch, and Black Peak. Here is some information about the trek:
Best time to visit: The best time to do the Kedarkantha trek is during the winter months from December to February when the snow is at its peak. However, the trek can also be done in the spring and autumn months from April to November when the weather is milder and the views are still beautiful.
Trek difficulty: The Kedarkantha trek is a moderate level trek that is suitable for beginners and experienced trekkers alike. The trek involves hiking through forests, meadows, and snow-covered trails, and the altitude ranges from 9,000 feet to 12,500 feet.
Trek duration: The Kedarkantha trek is a 6-day trek that covers a total distance of approximately 20 km. The trek starts and ends in Sankri village and involves camping at various locations along the trail.
Activities to do near Kedarkantha Trek | Things to do near Kedarkantha Trek
The Kedarkantha trek offers a wide range of activities that can be enjoyed by trekkers. Here are some of the activities you can do during the trek:
- Trekking: The Kedarkantha trek itself is a great activity, offering stunning views of the Himalayas and beautiful landscapes along the way.
- Camping: Camping is an integral part of the Kedarkantha trek, and you will be camping at various locations along the trail. Enjoy the beautiful campsites and stargaze at night.
- Photography: The trek offers stunning views of the Himalayas, and you can capture some breathtaking shots of the snow-capped peaks, forests, meadows, and other landscapes.
- Wildlife spotting: The forests along the Kedarkantha trek are home to a variety of wildlife, including Himalayan black bears, leopards, musk deer, and more. Keep your eyes peeled for sightings along the way.
- Birdwatching: The trek is also a great opportunity for birdwatching, with a variety of species found in the region, including the Himalayan monal, koklass pheasant, and more.
- Snow activities: During the winter months, the trail is covered in snow, and you can indulge in snow activities like skiing, snowshoeing, and sledding.
- Cultural experiences: The trek passes through several villages, and you can experience the local culture and way of life of the people living in the region.
Famous Tourist Attractions near Kedarkantha Trek | Places to visit near Kedarkantha Trek
There are several tourist attractions near the Kedarkantha trek that you can visit before or after the trek. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Har Ki Dun: Har Ki Dun is a beautiful valley located near the Kedarkantha trek, known for its scenic beauty and trekking trails.
- Govind Wildlife Sanctuary: The Govind Wildlife Sanctuary is a protected area located near the Kedarkantha trek, home to a variety of wildlife and bird species.
- Yamunotri Temple: The Yamunotri Temple is a famous Hindu temple located near the Kedarkantha trek, dedicated to the goddess Yamuna.
- Kempty Falls: Kempty Falls is a beautiful waterfall located near Mussoorie, which is a popular hill station near the Kedarkantha trek.
- Mussoorie: Mussoorie is a popular hill station located near the Kedarkantha trek, known for its scenic beauty and colonial architecture.
- Rishikesh: Rishikesh is a famous pilgrimage site and a popular tourist destination located near the Kedarkantha trek, known for its temples, ashrams, and adventure activities like rafting and bungee jumping.
- Dehradun: Dehradun is the capital city of Uttarakhand, located near the Kedarkantha trek, and is known for its picturesque location and famous institutions like Forest Research Institute and Indian Military Academy.