Surkanda Devi Temple- Tehri Garhwal
Surkanda Devi Temple is a famous Hindu pilgrimage site located in the Tehri Garhwal district of Uttarakhand, India. It is situated at an altitude of 2,750 meters above sea level and is dedicated to Goddess Parvati. The temple offers breathtaking views of the surrounding Himalayan mountain range, making it a popular tourist destination.
The temple is believed to be more than 1000 years old and is considered one of the Shakti Peethas, where the body parts of the goddess Sati fell. Legend has it that the temple was built by Lord Shiva himself to honor the death of Sati.
The temple can be reached after a steep climb of about 2 km from the base, which can take around an hour. The trek is relatively easy and can be undertaken by people of all age groups. Along the way, you can enjoy the scenic beauty of the region and take in the fresh mountain air.
The temple's architecture is unique and reflects the local culture and traditions. The main deity of the temple is a stone statue of Goddess Surkanda Devi, which is adorned with various ornaments and clothes. The temple also has several other idols of other Hindu deities, including Lord Shiva and Lord Ganesha.
The Surkanda Devi Temple is not just a pilgrimage site but also a popular destination for adventure enthusiasts. The surrounding area offers many opportunities for trekking, camping, and nature walks.
The best time to visit the Surkanda Devi Temple is during the summer months (April to June) and the autumn months (September to November) when the weather is pleasant and the skies are clear. During the winter months (December to February), the region experiences heavy snowfall and its difficult to reach the temple however you will love to experience snow fall and snow around.
Famous Tourist Attraction near Surkanda Devi Temple | Places to visit near Surkanda Devi Temple
There are many beautiful places to visit near Surkanda Devi Temple that offer breathtaking views of the Himalayas and a glimpse into the rich cultural heritage of the region. Here are some of the top places to visit near Surkanda Devi Temple:
- Tehri Dam: Tehri Dam is one of the largest hydroelectric projects in India and is located about 40 km from Surkanda Devi Temple. It is an engineering marvel that offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and the Tehri Lake.
- Dhanaulti: Dhanaulti is a picturesque hill station located about 9 km from Surkanda Devi Temple. It is known for its natural beauty and offers many opportunities for trekking and camping.
- Mussoorie: Mussoorie is a famous hill station located about 38 km from Surkanda Devi Temple. It is known for its scenic beauty, colonial architecture, and various tourist attractions like Kempty Falls, Gun Hill, and Lal Tibba.
- Chamba: Chamba is a small town located about 23 km from Surkanda Devi Temple. It is known for its ancient temples, scenic beauty, and panoramic views of the Himalayas.
- Kanatal: Kanatal is a serene hill station located about 10 km from Surkanda Devi Temple. It is known for its natural beauty, apple orchards, and adventure activities like trekking and camping.
- Kaudia Forest: Kaudia Forest is a dense forest located about 11 km from Surkanda Devi Temple. It is known for its rich flora and fauna and is an ideal destination for nature lovers.
- Dehradun City: Dehradun is the capital city of Uttarakhand, a state in northern India and located around 62 km from Surkanda Devi Temple. It is situated in the Doon Valley, surrounded by the Himalayas to the north and the Shivalik range to the south. The city is known for its beautiful landscape, pleasant weather, and rich cultural heritage. You will love to explore the city and places to visit like Deer Park, Budha Temple, Tapkeshwar Temple, Sahastradhara falls etc.
- Rishikesh: Rishikesh is a holy city located in the foothills of the Himalayas in Uttarakhand, India and is located around 86km from Surkanda Devi Temple. It is known as the "Yoga Capital of the World" and attracts spiritual seekers and adventure enthusiasts from all over the world. The city is situated on the banks of the Ganges River and is home to several ancient temples and ashrams.
Activities to do near Surkanda Devi Temple | Things to do near Surkanda Devi Temple
Surkanda Devi Temple is located in the Tehri District of Uttarakhand, India, and is surrounded by beautiful landscapes and scenic views. There are several activities that visitors can do near the temple. Here are some of the top activities to do near Surkanda Devi Temple:
Trekking: Surkanda Devi Temple is located atop a hill, and visitors can reach the temple by trekking through the lush green forests. The trek is moderate, and it takes around 1-2 hours to reach the temple. The trek offers breathtaking views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
Camping: Visitors can camp near the Surkanda Devi Temple and enjoy the scenic beauty of the surrounding areas. There are several camping sites in and around the temple, and visitors can stay overnight and experience the tranquility of the place.
Nature Walks: Surkanda Devi Temple is surrounded by natural beauty, and visitors can take a nature walk and explore the flora and fauna of the region. The walk takes visitors through the lush green forests and provides an opportunity to experience the serene beauty of the place.
Photography: The surrounding areas of Surkanda Devi Temple offer some of the most beautiful views, and visitors can capture the scenic beauty of the place through photography.
Visit nearby Attractions: Visitors can also explore nearby attractions like Dhanaulti, Tehri Dam, and Chamba, which are located within a short distance from Surkanda Devi Temple.